Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Some Recent Poetry

Posted by Simon Halliday | Tuesday, May 17, 2005 | Category: |

Windswept 13.05.05

The wind gaily called my name
this morning,
it was so tempting
to deny everything
and run.


Currents 29.04.05

I stand on a promenade
salt-sprayed
the seas roiling
smashing the walls
beneath me
they would catch me
snatch away my breath
flatten me against the sand


Chatting 13.05.05

Although I would touch
you, I am arrested by
intuited discontent,
a restlessness,
pervasive as it is.

Yet there you are,
calmly beautiful
and I unable to make
the barest hint of
affections.

Meadow ridged 06.05.05

Your hair tightened its
grip on the links that were my eyes

too much I say too much

and to say I was delighted
would be trying
it is always easier to
say that which I don’t mean

you left

with all the clarity of
Cumulonimbus clouds
shedding too-large shadows

Currently have 1 comments:

  1. hey si - awesome poetry - i love this last one - what inspired it?
    was so good to talk to you - made me feel so much better. You have no idea how much it means to me to have someone who has always been consistent and stable and faithful since I've known you...
    I will write longer soon, got to go off to church again. Just got home, ate heaps of vegan chocolate and then perused your photos...
    I'll send some of my very raw poetry to you soon. I may just photocopy pages and post them...
    ok - love you...
    lau