Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Monday, June 06, 2005

More words (possibly not) of wisdom

Posted by Simon Halliday | Monday, June 06, 2005 | Category: |

Clear winter 06.06.05

The sky was
raucous clear today
sounds carried
too far

had I heard
your voice, I
may have thought
it pertinent

to scream
both the sky, and you,
would have heard
its insistence

Memorised passages 30.05.05

the morning has every memory
etched into the soil, bark and brick
of each and every begun day

the night cannot help but recall
the howling winds, laughters and
joyous screams that she held

the day is the place in which
I feel memory is often lost
it mourns its quotidian nature. I

have left flowered wreaths at the
noon of each day to display my affections
for those escaped facts, lost and dead

among the multitude of days,
memorised passages of people
continuously forgotten.



A gap in nature 30.05.05

Crescent-shaped is
my remorse
at not having demanded
more of you,
it can only reach so high
before coming
down once more
it is these depths with which I am more
familiar


Moment-ous, 24.05.05

the realisation
I gave power
to you, to
the memory of you

there you hobble
around ranting
I stare at
these recollections

constructed ideas
of who and what you harmed
I wear that shadow
it hinged onto my

feet when you died
I feel its weight
trying to pull me into it
questioning my resistance.


Elle m’a dit “jamais” 17.05.05

To contemplate neverness
I sit here and attempt
its intricacies

but this dramatic winter
with its bellicose rain
and clouds that quarrel

above me, inspires something
beyond contemplation
for which I am unsure of

my capability


Calibration 14.05.05

I cannot
begin to fathom
the ways in which
you think

such depths are
too womanly,
I am unequipped
yet remain willing

this possible sufficiency
is several times daunting
chance may lead me
to turn and face it

Currently have 0 comments: