Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

The Wonder of the Written Word

Posted by Simon Halliday | Saturday, June 11, 2005 | Category: |

The following are several recent poems. You’ll notice that when I decided not to title some of them then they are numbered. There is an ordering – they have been given prime numbers. Some will be missing, but hey, you don’t get to read all of them.

Seasonal love 07.06.05

Wet-trampled leaves, my
lovestumbling cushions

Impregnated by raindrops
I am weighty

falling onto once-hard
soft leaves



2. 08.06.05

caught in
this malaise:
loneliness

it is a crack
in which there is
nothing but darkness
the inescapability
of deep rents in the earth

lightly, if only a star would
appear, some
motivation to heal


3. 08.06.05

pilgrimages have become
broekn simbils
no longer building
nor restoring Faith

yet i attempt this
down pot-holed urban
roads to trace some path
back to restore me

little Faith do I have in my
ability to walk
crawling or pulling myself
along on bruised hands would

be more honest if
nothing else this broken
pilgrimage should attempt
some form of honesty



7. 09.06.05

Kneeling, I have cast
my dappled sorrow
at your feet

ignored, dew clings to it
and moss inveigles its
way in: enlivening

the contrasts even more.
I wait for one of
your footprints to

mark it and, so doing,
take possession of
its dank pain.


11. 11.06.05

I have seen
a mother
trying not to cry:
my words, I deem,
insufficient
to capture
the moment of that
pain
yet…

her fingers clasping a
breaking cigarette
filtering the air

charred proteas lying in
the damp ash of
winter fires

Currently have 0 comments: