Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Friday, January 09, 2009

Links

Posted by Simon Halliday | Friday, January 09, 2009 | Category: |

Several categories of links today as I haven't done this in a while:

General
Google gives libraries a raw deal with new agreement
Ben Goldacre on Maggiore's Death
10 Lectures on Evolution (I will watch these, I promise, they look quite grand)
The Skepchick - 10 Speptics Who Kicked Ass in 2008
Marketing Geek - Kelele - An African Blogging Conference in 2009
Newsweek - 4 Thinkers Whose Ideas Captured the Moment (including Sunstein & Stiglitz)

Politics
Address by Yoweri Museveni to the UN (in September 2008, but I only came across it recently, HT: Chris Blattman)
Mahmood Mamdani - On Zimbabwe
Ban Ki Moon - Taking the Long View

Economics Generally
Duflo et al (Vox) - Can political affirmative action for women reduce gender bias?
Duncan Green - 10 Challenges to Business as Usual for Development Agencies
Duncan Green - Crystal Ball overviews on global security
Antonio Ciccone - Sudden Impoverishment as a Trigger of Civil Conflict

Credit Crisis
Hal Varian - Boost Private Investment to Boost the Economy
Martin Wolf - Keynes offers us the best way to think about the financial crisis
Robert Lucas Jr. - Bernanke is the best stimulus right now
Robert Frank - Should Congress Put a Cap on Executive Pay
Ed Glaeser - Who Should Get the federal funds stimulus?
Brad DeLong - Greenspan Roundtable
John Lippert - Friedman would be roiled as Chicago disciples rue repudiation

Economics and Darwin
Massimo Pigliucci - Economics learns from evolutionary biology
Paul Seabright - Darwin and the terrible games of homo sapiens

Video: Feldstein and Stiglitz on Charlie Rose

Currently have 0 comments: