Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Carnival of the Africans #6

Posted by Simon Halliday | Wednesday, January 28, 2009 | Category: , |

The 6th Carnival of the Africans is being hosted by Angela who runs 'Skeptic Detective'. Here are my picks from the carnival.

Ivan, of a subtle shift in emphasis, tells the tale of his journey to atheism. He recounts the struggles of really understanding and relating to Christianity after seeing stark depictions of Jesus's torture and crucifixion in the Zeffirelli depiction thereof (in Jesus of Nazareth) and how this vivid experience was followed by catechism, mathematical and science education and more. Have a read, it's worthwhile.

Dr Spurt of Effortless Incitement relates some of the nuances of human tastes and how these relate to the symbolic experiences of what is being tasted (Pepsi vs. Generic cola say). Very interesting.

Mike Meadon reminds us that confusing hypnogogia for actual experiences is alive and well in personal tales of life and religion.

Two of my own posts, one on love and neuroscience and a recent one on the transitive brains of rhesus monkeys featured in the carnival.

Currently have 0 comments: