Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Inequality Workshop

Posted by Simon Halliday | Wednesday, September 10, 2008 | Category: |

Next week I am off to Rome to attend a workshop on Inequality, hosted by CRISS (Centro di Ricerca Inter-Universitario sullo Stato Sociale).  Highlights for me include a keynote speech by Ravi Kanbur, an acclaimed researcher who has done large amounts of work internationally on Inequality as well as specific work on South Africa.  Then too there is Lane Kenworthy, the worthy academic blogger at Consider The EvidenceJeff Madrick, of the Cooper Union and Schwartz Center for Economic Research is presenting on 'American Myths'.  Francesco Farina, Uni Siena, is presenting on decomposition of inequality in the EU.  Numerous other presentations look interesting and I will report on them after the fact. 

So what I wanted to put out there: if you had a question to ask somone of Kanbur's calibre on South African inequality, what would you ask them? I'm thinking of putting myself out there and asking hopefully interesting questions.

Currently have 0 comments: