Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

2 Books I didn't finished

Posted by Simon Halliday | Tuesday, June 10, 2008 | Category: |

Here are a couple novels of late (past few months), which I enjoyed a fair amount, but didn't managed to finish.
Lunar ParkChristine Falls: A Novel
The one is Bret Easton Ellis's Lunar Park. I enjoyed some of it, but it just didn't seem to have the energy of his earlier books, it seemed more self indulgent and a bit staid, as if he were trying to do the whole drugs and sex thing he'd done in other novels, but with a depressed, middle aged, I don't know, mien? I read and read, and then I just really couldn't get around to finishing it.

The second book is Benjamin Black's (aka John Banville) Christine Falls. Again, I have enjoyed Banville's other writing, but this I just couldn't sustain. Maybe I wasn't in the right 'space' as people say, for these books, or maybe they just aren't as good as I was hoping they'd be. Either way, I didn't finish them.

In general though, I am trying to take Tyler Cowen's advice and if I don't feel like it, don't finish a book. This way I will try more books (and discard more books), but in so trying will hopefully find more books I would like than if I hadn't tried them at all.

Currently have 0 comments: