Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Blog Archive

Thursday, June 12, 2008

When will Mbeki Act?

Posted by Simon Halliday | Thursday, June 12, 2008 | Category: |

Biti Arrested & Charged with Treason

MDC Leaders Arrested

Mbeki Firm on Zim Stance

DA: Mbeki must rebuke Zim villains

Vote for MDC is a vote for war

Mugabe deploys war vets

Mbeki says that "We will also continue to argue that the people of Zimbabwe will have to unite to extricate their country from the economic crisis in which it is immersed, and that we will contribute everything we can to support the realisation of this objective."

Firstly, the crisis is not only ECONOMIC! It is HUMANITARIAN! Maybe I'm a crazy person in the woods with this kind of ranting, but seriously.

And "We will contribute everything we can?" except of course if you read 'contribute' as contributing to the dislodging of a human rights abusing dictator. That would never do. What I don't get is that he (Mbeki) doesn't come down hard on the crazy abuses of power going on in Zim. It makes no sense to me. None whatsoever.

It's not like during apartheid people outside of South Africa were saying, "oh yes, it's somewhat bad there, we'll assist them, we'll contribute to in any way we can, except of course by doing anything, such as actually indicting the actions. Ho ho ho, we'd NEVER do that, bad form, bad form to indict another country's internal affairs."

Currently have 0 comments: