Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Obama, Italian Immigration and Memes

Posted by Simon Halliday | Wednesday, June 04, 2008 | Category: , , , , , |

So, I am fully behind the win of Barack Obama. Interesting comments, from Time, the NYT and other places.

Here is a link to the video of his victory speech.

Otherwise, Silvio Berlusconi is troubling people with his doublespeak on immigrants. What's that you say Silvio? They aren't illegal, even though you passed a law that they are? Are you realizing that illegal immigrants are necessary for Italian growth? Ohhh... the cheap labour of it all...

And otherwise, hat tip to Mike for recommending another interesting TedTalk to me. Here it is for those of you who are interested: fun discussion by Susan Blackmore.


As Mike himself comments, it's really difficult to assess universal Darwinism and some of the assertions that she makes could be quite easily disputed. Have a look at Mike's blog to see some good comments.

Currently have 0 comments: