Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Educ Again

Posted by Simon Halliday | Wednesday, July 02, 2008 | Category: |

Here are some links to education things that I have found interesting. I am consistently interested in well-written ideas about education. Some of the pieces below are non-technical things, others are just references to articles. I think that it is crucial that we take as wide a view as possible when it comes to human development and education. Some of the pieces reflect that. I believe, furthermore, in the fact that monitoring of policies and interventions, though it may appear mundane to the untrained, is crucial in order for us to be able to understand more fully the impacts of educational inputs, background and all the aspects of human development that abound in society.

Finland's Education - Economist
Gender Inequality and the Math Gap - Ars Technica
Winner of the 2008 Arrow Prize - The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trend - Thom Hertz, others from American U and Piraino and Veraschagina from UniSi!

For some good papers, which are recent (mostly), but which it seems some may not have read:
Duflo, Hanna and Ryan (2007) - Monitoring Works
Duflo, Dupas and Kremer (2008) - Peer Effects, Pupil-Teacher Ratios and Teacher Incentives
Miguel and Kremer (2004) - Worms
Banerjee, Cole, Duflo and Linden (2007) - Remedying Education

And have a look at Jim Heckman's website when you have the time. Here's his Nobel speech. He is very interested in all aspects of 'capacity formation'. See this PNAS piece of his for a general idea.

Currently have 0 comments: