Economics, Literature and Scepticism

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a PhD student in Economics. I am originally from South Africa and plan to return there after my PhD. I completed my M. Comm in Economics and my MA In Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked as a lecturer before starting my PhD.

Blog Archive

Thursday, July 10, 2008

This Afternoon

Posted by Simon Halliday | Thursday, July 10, 2008 | Category: |

So, this afternoon, I was sitting on the Piazza del Campo, http://www.sienaviva.com/Piazza-del-Campo/reading John Rawls, while eating a lemon granita. Frigging fantastic.

For those of you who don't know, Piazza del Campo is the piazza on which the Palazzo Pubblico in Siena is situated, where Lorenzetti's famous frescoes of good and bad governance are. Great location to do some political philosophy reading if you ask me. If I recall accurately both David Miller and Jonathan Wolff refer to the frescoes in their books, as does Sam Bowles.

Sweetness!


Ambrogio Lorenzetti, Effects of Good Government on the City (Fresco Palazzo Publico, Siena, 1338-40)

Currently have 0 comments: